Diamond Scholars Research Project 2011


For this project, I'm gaining a better understanding of Swissvale PA by researching oral history of the area and making plein air paintings. Paintings and memories are similar. Unlike hard facts, they are based on subjective experiences and each one is different. By combining paintings and memories, I hope to portray Swissvale in a specific, honest, and in-depth way.



Saturday, June 11, 2011

Walk

I go for walks.  As I'm exploring, I look for places that will make a good painting.  I found this view of Swissvale's business district from up on the hill part of Swissvale.

This is where painting has many advantages.  All the buildings, wires, trees and activity in an urban scene can make it overwelming and difficult to compose.  With painting, I can take liberties and edit the complexity to draw attention to the specific elements of the image that I want.

These are some digital pictures of what I see when I stand on that hill.  My painting of this view will be challenging, but I'm looking forward to it.  The bussiness district is an important part of what Swissvale is today.




No comments:

Post a Comment