Diamond Scholars Research Project 2011


For this project, I'm gaining a better understanding of Swissvale PA by researching oral history of the area and making plein air paintings. Paintings and memories are similar. Unlike hard facts, they are based on subjective experiences and each one is different. By combining paintings and memories, I hope to portray Swissvale in a specific, honest, and in-depth way.



Monday, June 20, 2011

Painting Layer 2

I've put two layers of paint on this canvas.  The canvas is 6 feet by 3 feet.  It is not done yet, but this image I took late in the day shows the general idea of lighting and colors.  I have many technical goals with this painting: don't let it be too thin, don't have too opaque darks, give it enough saturation, etc.  At the same time I don't want it to end up too stiff or without sufficient information in it.


I'm most interested in the lighting.  I want the lighting to highlight the architecture and landscape so that people can see Swissvale in it.  I most enjoy lighting that triggers a memory of a personal experience in a viewer.  In order to do this, the lighting has to be specific and have a feeling to it.  This will be my main goal with this painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment