Diamond Scholars Research Project 2011


For this project, I'm gaining a better understanding of Swissvale PA by researching oral history of the area and making plein air paintings. Paintings and memories are similar. Unlike hard facts, they are based on subjective experiences and each one is different. By combining paintings and memories, I hope to portray Swissvale in a specific, honest, and in-depth way.



Thursday, June 9, 2011

Painting 2

This drawing is the first study I've done for a second larger painting.  I've cut the wood for the stretchers and am about to get more gesso and canvas.

I was searching for a view up on the "hill" part of Swissvale.  I wanted something that would show the vast distance one can see from this height.  I found this alley, which has the architecture, layers, and cars that I enjoy painting.  This alley shows exactly the type of architecture and belongings that are common here.  In particular, the vinyl siding and green corrugated plastic are textures that many people have told me remind them of this area.



This study is just in black and white because I drank all the water I intended to use for watercolors (it was a very hot day).  I'll be making more color studies before I start the larger painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment